NEW STRUCTURE FOR 2024!
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
Please fill out the registration form (from red button above) and we will email you with next steps for depositing to secure your spot.
GEORGE KORDIS SUMMER ICON SCHOOL
AUGUST 8 – 18th, 2024
Now held solely on the peaceful island of Crete for optimal immersion in the learning process, this 10-day immersive summer icon painting study program will allow balanced daily studio learning with additional trips to churches and monasteries as a part of the inspirational curriculum –along with shared meals and curated evenings of food, discussion, music and camaraderie.
Our Summer Iconography School is a unique opportunity to immerse in learning iconography in-person from Dr. George Kordis in his native country of Greece. The instruction will begin with several days drawing in the Byzantine system and will then focus on painting and various techniques in the Byzantine system specifically with the dry egg tempera technique.
The program will now be held exclusively on Crete to enjoy a full 10 days of peaceful and inspirational learning with Dr. Kordis. Hosted at the renowned Orthodox Academy of Crete (OAC) — a unique sanctuary in the mountainous hills of Northern Crete near the village of Kolymbari overlooking the sea and within walking distance of both village and beach, the Academy hosts two Botanical Museums, an extensive library as well as several ancient churches on-site or adjacent, including the famous Gonia Odigitria Monastery which allows for beautiful and convenient access to the Feast Days for the Dormition of the Holy Mother (Assumption of Mary) of the 15th of August, occurring during the same time as the summer school.
The food is highly rated and is included in the separate lodging cost. Students registered in the program are required to stay at the OAC for the best group experience (spouses and other family members welcomed ~ scroll down for specific information). The stay will be split between daily studio work and optional trips (also included in cost) to monasteries to visit significant ancient icon paintings, monasteries and churches and free time to visit some of the best beaches in Europe (Elafonisi and Falasarna Beach).
For more information on the unique location, please visit the website for Orthodox Academy of Crete.
Each day will comprise an average of 6 hours of studio time paired with relaxed visits in the afternoons to museums, churches and monasteries to see inspiring ancient and contemporary examples of iconography. In 2024, we will also feature a special excursion to Heraklion to visit several museums, including a special exhibition of Kordis’s icons.
The program is good for beginner, intermediate or advanced levels, as all instruction is individualized and broken into groups based on student preference and determined skills and comfortability.
The summer school is conducted in English.
Start Day ~ AUGUST 8th
NOTE: Students will need to decide if they will arrive to Crete by Ferry on the early morning of the 8th or by plane a day in advance to be ready to take the private chartered bus to the Orthodox Academy. Students are also welcome to fly into Chania airport independently on the morning of the 8th and secure their own taxi to the Orthodox Academy. For those arriving by ferry or taking the private charter bus on the early morning of the 8th, breakfast will be provided at the OAC with rest time until lunch and afternoon explorations. It is strongly suggested that ALL students arrive by 12 noon on August 8th. The Summer School will end on the 18th of August immediately after breakfast with a 10am private bus taking travelers to the Chania Airport, although participants are also welcome to depart by private taxi earlier if they wish, or to stay on in Crete and enjoy all the beauty it has to offer!
Please also note these dates are locked in and will not be subject to any changes.
Arrivals to the Orthodox Academy of Crete — by group private charter bus or independently with the bus arriving in time for breakfast, and all students requested to be present by the noon opening lunch.
12.00 Meet for Lunch at OAC
13.30–18.00 Opening Introductions and Afternoon excursion to Gonia museum and several ancient Byzantine sites.
THE FULL ITINERARY IS CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED AND WILL BE POSTED IN MID-SEPTEMBER.
We are confident that the 2024 itinerary will be very well received by all students.
Tuition: 1,500 euros with a 20% non-refundable deposit of 300 euros to secure a spot (applied to total).
A second tuition installment of 600 euros will be due in January 2023 with remaining amount due in May (all registered students will be billed accordingly).
Crete Orthodox Center Fee:
- single room accommodation at the OAC with private bath
double room accommodation at the OAC with private shared bath
special rate for children up to age 12
(2024 prices are currently being revised to accommodate the extended summer school)
Payment will be non-refundable and will need to be paid in July, one month prior to the start of the Summer School. We will give instructions on how to secure the payment directly to the OAC after the main tuition deposit has been made in the early Summer.
ALL STUDENTS ARE WELCOME TO BRING A SPOUSE or TRAVEL FRIEND (or a child 12 and older or under 12 if accompanied with a non-participating parent/care-giver) by paying per person for the Orthodox Center Fee.
The OAC fee includes:
- Welcome reception
- Accommodation at the OAC’s rooms with daily breakfast
- Lunches and Dinners at the OAC (with red/white wine) according to the traditional Cretan cuisine, with two free nights
- Coffee and Tea, biscuits available throughout the Workshop
- Transfers by bus from the Port of Souda, Chania to the OAC as you come by ship from Piraeus, Athens or from the Chania airport (CHQ) to the OAC
- Special Dinner at the old harbor of Chania
- Traditional live Cretan night with traditional music, musicians and dancers
- ALL EXCURSIONS:
- To the church of Archangel Michael, Rotonda Episkopi,the Church of Saint Stephan – Drakona and Church of Saint John the Herimit- Marathokefala
- Visit at the Holy Monasteries of Chrysopigis and the Holy Trinity and the Museum of Icons, the Grave of Benizelos, small tour at the old city of Chania
- Full Day Trip to Heraklion Museums
Please use the red registration button at the top of this page — you will then be contacted for your formal depositing process.
Once notified of your registration, you will be invoiced and need to pay your tuition deposit promptly ($300) in order to hold your space. You will be billed two further payments for the tuition in both January and April, 2024 to space out the payments.
You will only need to pay the Orthodox Center Lodging deposit one month out from the actual event (it is non-refundable from that point).
NOTE: You will need to independently secure your air or ferry travel to and from Crete.
Your round trip travel to Crete can be made by boat or by plane. The ferry must be booked in advance (link for tickets will be shared closer to the date, with an average of 60 euros per person economy seat, with more for a cabin with a bed). The Orthodox Academy will be able to provide transport to and from the OAC upon arrival from the port. Bear in mind that most ferry and airlines from Athens to Crete will not post schedules for August until around May 2024.
We will begin to share informational planning emails as of January 2024 for your trip.
REGARDING REGISTRATION & REFUND POLICY
* The 300 euros deposit is non-refundable — make sure to secure all travel and Athens lodging with generous policy for any changes/cancellations.
* Should you need to cancel attendance you will receive a refund for any balance paid minus the deposit if we are notified prior to June 1st, 2024. If you cancel attendance after June 1st, you will forfeit your deposit, and will only be refunded your remaining amount paid minus 20% of the total, OR you may also choose to apply this year’s unused tuition and deposit in full to summer of 2025 so you will not lose your full investment if you have to withdraw at the last minute.
* We will work as generously as possible with students experiencing unforeseen illness or travel issues that prevent attendance. Usually this will be handled on a case-by-case basis. We understand there are many factors beyond your control with travel in the world these days, and we ask that you be up-to-date with all travel policy for entering Greece, your time in Greece, as well as requirements for your own country while traveling abroad.
We hope to have you join us for this rare opportunity to learn iconography from master George Kordis in the beautiful and peaceful setting of Greece — for year three!
NOTE: IF YOU REGISTER AND DO NOT RECEIVE AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT LETTER WITHIN 24 HOURS, Please email Keri at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or check your spam folder as sometimes our letters and invoices go directly to spam.