Tuition for the Writing the Light Certificate Program
There are two parts to the program tuition:
- ONLINE TUITION
Each year, there are two semesters of online learning – Fall and Spring, with two years and/or four semesters needed to graduate. The cost of these are fixed, with possibility of certain class(es) waived to be determined at acceptance with an individually adapted tuition plan provided if applicable.
- RESIDENCY TUITION
With four residencies required in order to graduate, students have the flexibility to choose which residencies to attend. Students who have attended previous workshops with George Kordis may be able to have one residency requirement waived outside of the St. Vladimir’s residencies.
The LODGING, FOOD, and TRAVEL COST of each residency is independently covered by each student, and will vary from student to student and the location of each residency. It is not included in the residency tuition cost. Students must be able to cover these additional costs along with the overall residency tuition and regular online tuition. It will be necessary to budget accordingly, with estimates shared on the individual residencies descriptions.
Once a student has been admitted into the Certificate Program:
- A non-refundable deposit of $400 will need to be paid (applied towards the total tuition cost) within the first two weeks of being accepted into the program in order to secure their spot.
- Students will receive a breakdown of the total expected tuition billing along with various flexible payment option plans.
- Students will choose to pay either by semester or month-to-month in a payment plan. Along with tuition, an Administrative fee ($400 annually per student) will be payable as part of the overall program cost. This fee will be split between the first and second semester, and satisfied at the beginning of each semester over the course of the two year program.
- Students will need to be ready to make a deposit on their first residency of choice along with their first tuition payment. A notice of when to expect the final residency payment will be sent after payment is completed (it is also usually indicated on the registration detail of each particular residency).
NOTE: Tuition payments must be made no later than a month in advance of each semester – for FALL 2023 by August 15th, and for SPRING 2024 by December 15th, 2023.
|ONLINE TUITION OVERVIEW (2-year program)|
|LIVE Virtual Drawing – LIVE class 2x per month with supervision by Dr. George Kordis||200|
|Painting Essentials I – Series of on-demand recorded sessions with supervision by Kordis||200|
|History of Byzantine Art I – LIVE class 2x per month – instructor: Dr. Rossitza Schroeder||300|
|Seminar 1 – LIVE CLASS 1x per month with Kordis, all levels||150|
|LIVE Virtual Drawing – LIVE class 2x per month with supervision by Kordis||200|
|Painting Essentials II – Series of on-demand recorded sessions with Kordis supervision||200|
|Theology of Icons and Aesthetics of Byzantine Painting I – 2x per month with Kordis, both LIVE and recorded||300|
|Seminar 3 — LIVE CLASS 1x per month with Dr. Kordis, all levels||150|
|LIVE Virtual Drawing – 2x per month LIVE class with supervision by Dr. Kordis||200|
|Advanced Painting – Series of on-demand recorded sessions with supervision by Kordis||300|
|History of Byzantine Art II – 2x per month LIVE class, instructor: Dr. Rossitza Schroeder||300|
|Seminar 3 — LIVE 1x per month with Dr. Kordis, all levels||150|
|THESIS PROJECT. Students must paint a large scale icon based on traditional icons using their own style. Thesis supervised by George Kordis individually, with final work submission within three months of final residency.||400|
|Theology of Icons and Aesthetics of Byzantine Painting II – 1x per month LIVE class Instructor: Kordis||300|
|Seminar 4 — LIVE — 1x per month with Dr. Kordis, all levels||150|
|TOTAL ONLINE PROGRAM COST||$3,400|
|($1,700 Annual Online Cost)|
|AVERAGE TUITION COST FOR FOUR RESIDENCIES (based on two 7-day, and two 10-day residencies)||$4,900|
|TOTAL AVERAGE COMBINED ONLINE + RESIDENCIES 2-YEAR TUITION COST||$8,300|
|($4,150 Estimated Annual Total Student Tuition Cost)|
* not including travel, food or lodging at the residencies.
PLEASE NOTE ALL TUITION BILLING WILL BE PRESENTED IN EUROS AT TIME OF BILLING BASED ON DOLLAR TUITION COST. International payment details for accepted students will be shared in the student’s acceptance letter.
Discounts and Scholarships
- Current St. Vladimir’s Seminary Students, faculty and staff are allowed a special 20% discount* to attend the Writing the Light Certificate Program – extended also to their immediate family members.
- Applicants are encouraged to seek private scholarships, grants and sponsorships from their parishes and also from the State Arts Council from the student’s respective state (for students within the United States). Currently additional funding assistance is not available directly through Writing the Light, although it is in process.
- A suggested list of materials will be given to students after depositing.
- Students will need to be equipped with basic materials of paper, pigments, icon boards and brushes to use at home. Students can expect to incur an average of $150 to $300 of additional personal expense on materials per year.
- All materials (outside of brushes) are included for Residencies.